I work with arts and cultural organisations devising strategies and adapting business models to enable them to become more relevant and resilient.
Why: The crucial first step to resilience is to define why your organisation is vital. What difference does it make? What impact does it have? How is it relevant in today’s diverse society? What would be deeply missed if your organisation no longer existed?
What: We then define the strategy, business model and approach to help you achieve your ‘why’, to deliver on your vision and purpose. We explore the strengths and weaknesses of your current approach and consider how it might need to change in order to become more:
- desirable: do audiences, visitors, funders, members and others clearly understand and love what you offer, and feel compelled to get involved?
- feasible: can you deliver on your promises with your existing resources, skills, assets and partnerships?
- and viable: does it stack up financially and provide opportunities for future growth and innovation?
How: You could have the most inspiring vision and a perfectly crafted strategic plan, but if you don’t have an effective leadership and organisational culture that is ready to adapt and respond and drive change forward, it will be very difficult to bring either of those to life.
Current projects include:
- Capturing case studies from across Europe about business model innovation in the arts for Creative Lenses, a four-year project (2015-2019) that seeks to make arts and cultural organisations more resilient and sustainable by improving their business models and developing their long-term strategic and innovation capacities. Trans Europe Halles, a European-based network of cultural centres initiated by citizens and artists, is responsible for the communication of Creative Lenses and the dissemination of the knowledge developed and gathered by the project. You can read the case studies on the Creative Lenses website.
Recent projects include:
- Author of a free online guide, Future Proof: how to test and review new business model and income generation ideas. It includes case studies from entrepreneurial museums and arts organisations across the UK and a range of tools and exercises to support organisations to create a business case.
- Founder, trainer and coach for Future Proof Museums An intensive ten-month programme working with museum CEOs and their wider teams helping them to review their future resilience and plan a clear strategy for growth in a world that’s constantly changing.
- Business advisor for Prosper A business support programme led by Creative United designed to improve resilience, commercial capacity and investment readiness of 70 arts, museums and libraries across the UK.
- Carrying out research and facilitating a board retreat exploring the future business model for MCN, a network of hundreds of people across the US and the rest of the world, working to advance digital transformation in museums.
- Working with Ron Evans from Group of Minds to explore new business model ideas at Mount Baker Theatre in Bellingham, Washington.
If you’re interested in discussing how I might help you and your organisation to develop future business models, plans and / or strategies, please do get in touch
Images courtesy of National Theatre of Scotland © Tim Morozzo